Saturday, December 30, 2006

Nakiru

Nakiru is my Karimojong name. One time we went into the village to for a Bible study, someone asked me what my name is. I answered and said, "Sarah." They then wanted to know what my Karimojong name is; at that point I did not have one.

After answering a few more questions, through a translator, Margie, someone asked, "When were you born?" Todd answered for me and said, "Winter." My birthday is January 8, which is not their winter. So they named me "Nakiru," which means "rain." I'm not sure if my name is "Nakiru" because I came during the rainy season or because they believe I was born in winter.

1 comment:

The Reeds said...

I just learned that you can click on your profile interests and find other people interested in the same things! You came up for "missions" and "Karamoja". Now that's a unique match!! What's more- I am also "Nakiru!" I arrived in Karamoja October 06 and it was rainy. I haven't looked through all of your blog yet but had to say hi already!

So.. Ejoka noi Nakiru!